[WEB4LIB] Re: Fortres Hack on the Horizon?? (fwd)

Tom Lacko Tom.Lacko at NIST.Gov
Wed Jun 23 15:44:53 EDT 1999

At 11:54 AM 6/23/99 -0700, David Atkins wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>Below, please find Fortres' answer to the pending hack.  I haven't had
>time to implement it myself.
>
>Happy girding,
>DA

>David P. Atkins
>Electronic Resources Librarian
>John C. Hodges Library                            datkins at utk.edu
>The University of Tennessee                    me  (423) 974-0014
>Knoxville, Tennessee  37996                    fax (423) 974-9242

>Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 12:34:11 -0500
>From: Technical Support <support at fortres.com>
>To: David Atkins <atkins at aztec.lib.utk.edu>
>Subject: Re: Fortres Hack on the Horizon?? (fwd)
>
>David,
>To protect the Fortres101 password files, please read the below information.
>Instructions are sorted by version.
>
>Fortres101 v4.0
>   1)  Add the following Privileged application: C:\FGC\APPMGR.EXE
>   2)  Give it access to APPMGR.SET and APPMGR.NET
>   3)   On the General File Protect page, add APPMGR.SET and APPMGR.NET to
>the Do Not Run list.  NOTE: make sure you either have all drives synced or
>specifically choose drive C:\ first.
>
>Fortres101 v3.0
>   1)  Add the following Privileged Application: C:\FORTRES.101\FORTRES.EXE
>   2)  Give it access to *.FG3
>   3)  Add *.FG3 to the Do Not Run list on the Execution page of Fortres.
>
>Fortres101 v2.5
>   1)  Add the following Privileged Application: C:\FORTRES.101\FORTRES.EXE
>to both No Registry Restrictions and No Disk Restrictions.
>   2)  Add FSET to the Do Not Run list on the Execution page of Fortres.

Hello Folks,

At my place we're using NT 4.0 and running version 4.0 of Fortres101, build
306. When I tried to apply the v4.0 fix listed above I couldn't get back in
to Fortres. I'd press the appropriate keystrokes, type in the password,
click OK or press Enter then . . . nothing! I tried multiple times and
talked to Fortres tech support. They'll get back to me. Windows 95 and 98
users, I've heard, are not experiencing this problem. Just NT 4 users.

Tom