[WEB4LIB] diskette vending machine

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Tue Jun 8 18:02:28 EDT 1999

At 11:47 AM 6/8/99 -0700, you wrote:
>  did my homeworks and I checked the archives.  But I would like to know if
>somebody have another name of a company (+ contact info) selling diskette
>vending machine different than the one mentionned Thu, 9 May 1996
>
>We think that the product mentionned in the archives of Web4Lib is a little
>costly (2648 $) and are wondering if something cheaper has come out lately

Unless you're hung up on it being a machine for that explicit purpose, you
should be able to purchase a used machine that vends candy or similar
products.  Many of them will work will for 3.5 inch floppy disks, and an
old used one (that doesn't take dollar bills, etc.) will do fine if the
disk price is low enough.

You should also consider talking to the vendor of your candy and
such.  They just might let you put floppies in one of the candy slots if
you gave them a cut of it.  Or let them do the whole thing.

Finally, do you sell enough floppies to make it worth having a machine?  We
considered the options and decided that trading dollar bills for floppies
across the circ desk was pretty simple for the couple a day we sold.  Much
less floppy disk business than overdue fine business.

In fact, it might almost be worth it to give floppies away when
asked....most of us have zillions of old ones, and they're not in big
demand.  Even new ones are under a quarter each in quantity.

I'll be interested to hear what you decide to do, and why.

cheers

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165