[WEB4LIB] policing Internet usage

Mark Roesner MRoesner at publib.edmonton.ab.ca
Wed Jul 21 15:14:06 EDT 1999

I'm not sure how well this would work with 20 terminals, as we only have 4,
but here is our self-serve solution.

We have a white board (with dry erase markers and a clock) where customers
can sign themselves in. It has these columns on it.

Computer Number - with each station having a number posted on top of it.
Name of user (first name or alias usually)
Time started on machine

Waiting list for next machine - if all of them are busy. Customer wait close
by and are very good at watching what the time is and letting people know
that their time is up.

The white board has a quick note on top to limit sessions to 20 minutes at a
time and users must abide by our policies, posted nearby. (and on the
initial screen)

Most customers catch on right away. If they don't, other customers gladly
help them or staff explain that they must sign in. It has helped cut down on
many problems with over use. Of course, there are always customers who try
to get around the system, by putting down a time that is 5 minutes in the
future, or going back to the board and changing the time, etc. I don't think
we can ever devise a system that would stop this.

As for creating a 5 minute station, I don't think this is enough time for
the vast majority of the people at our location. Most spend the entire time
on their machines (but then again, we don't allow e-mail, chat, etc. so most
people are reading sites).

Hope this helps,

Mark Roesner
Internet Librarian