policing Internet usage

Lynn Roberts robertsa at mail.hart.public.lib.ga.us
Wed Jul 21 17:05:46 EDT 1999

We Have 6 work stations.  They have to come by the circulation desk and sign
in.  The Circulation Clerk checks their ID because no one under 18 is
allowed to use the computer with out parental supervision, except for two of
the computers. These two are designated for use by children.  The rules are
posted by each of the computers and at the circulation desk.  The
Circulation desk can see all six computer.  If they have reached their
limits and No one is waiting they can continue to use the computer.  If
there is someone waiting they are asked to give up the computer.  That is
not a big issue here.  Usually in the afternoons is when we have the most
problems.  And that is when children want to use the computer and parents
are not around.  We do allow e-mail, Chat, and game playing.  So there are
times that a person may be there 3 or more hours.  Understand we are a small
library.  So, transferring that to a larger library may not make since.

Lynn Roberts
Information Technologist
Hart County Library
150 Benson Street, Hartwell, GA  30643