[WEB4LIB] Re: security question

Kyle Harriss kharriss at d.umn.edu
Fri Jan 22 14:10:00 EST 1999

We do what John Williams mentioned:

1.	Shut everything down using Win95's Policy Editor
2.	Edit msdos.sys to prevent access to the Boot Menu
3.	Change BIOS settings to prevent booting from A:
4.	Password protect BIOS settings

No, this does not provide full security.  Users who know what
they are doing can and do make changes.

We take one more step, which almost always takes care of
changes made by users.

5.	Place a full hard disk and registry image on a
	server, and set up the PCs so that they rebuild
	themselves on bootup (and on demand) to match the
	standard configuration stored on the server.

	I know there are other products for this, but
	the product we use is PC-Rdist (wpcrdist.exe).

	This product doesn't download the entire setup
	every time, it identifies what has changed and
	adds or deletes files to bring the PC back into
	configuration.

	If interested, check www.pyzzo.com  It isn't free,
	but it isn't expensive, either.

The security packages we tried using last year and the
year before didn't provide absolute security, and each
introduced new problems for our Win95 PCs.  (Don't want
to give names - I have lawsuit avoidance syndrome.)
Kyle Harriss		      voice: (218) 726-6546
UMD Library		      email: kharriss at d.umn.edu
10 University Drive
Duluth,  MN  55812