A short story about the Internet and Books

Hanan Cohen hananc at bashan.co.il
Tue Jan 19 01:05:42 EST 1999

Last week a man comes to me at the library asking me for help.

He had told me that he and friend had a bet about some fact and can I
please find the facts on the Internet to help him win the bet. I
searched and searched for about 10 minutes and didn't find it. Then I
decided to stop searching, went to the reference library and in two
minutes found the book with the answer.

He assumed that ALL information can be found on the Internet. He didn't
consider looking at books. Neither did I (at first) although we were in
a library. And more, the bet was about a fact that HE (and I) knew was
written in a specific book that every library in Israel must have at
least one copy of.

--
Hanan Cohen

Kibbutz Tamuz - Beit Shemesh http://www.tamuz.org.il
In association with : Bashan Systems - WebSkills
***Love and Peace***