[WEB4LIB] password protection and IIS 4.0

Denise Snoe dsnoe at tscpl.lib.ks.us
Tue Feb 9 07:37:10 EST 1999

> Date:          Mon, 8 Feb 1999 11:04:34 -0800 (PST)
> From:          "Walter W. Giesbrecht" <walterg at yorku.ca>
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at webjunction.org>
> Subject:       [WEB4LIB] password protection and IIS 4.0

> Can we restrict access to a directory using passwords on a server
> running IIS 4.0 and have it work for all clients?
>
> For a variety of reasons, we are moving most of our web content
> (excluding the catalogue itself) from a Unix server (running NCSA
> 1.5 on AIX) to an NT server running Microsoft-IIS 4.0. We have
> been restricting access to one directory tree with a password on
> the Unix server, but have been unable to get this to work in the
> same way on the NT server. Our systems person has only been able
> to get it to work for MSIE users; Netscape users are locked out
> completely. Does this make sense? Or has our systems person
> missed something fundamental?
> --
>
> Walter W. Giesbrecht                             walterg at yorku.ca
> Data Librarian                          (416) 736-2100 ext. 77551
> York University

You need to use basic authentication because of Microsofts encryption
system
or
see Microsoft for a plugin that allows people to login
http://backoffice.microsoft.com/downtrial/moreinfo/mapn.asp
Denise Snoe
dsnoe at tscpl.lib.ks.us
Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library
1515 SW 10th Avenue
Topeka, KS   66604-1374

Voice (913) 231-0569  Fax (913) 233-2055

Standard Caveats apply