password protection and IIS 4.0

Walter W. Giesbrecht walterg at yorku.ca
Mon Feb 8 14:04:21 EST 1999

Can we restrict access to a directory using passwords on a server
running IIS 4.0 and have it work for all clients?

For a variety of reasons, we are moving most of our web content
(excluding the catalogue itself) from a Unix server (running NCSA
1.5 on AIX) to an NT server running Microsoft-IIS 4.0. We have
been restricting access to one directory tree with a password on
the Unix server, but have been unable to get this to work in the
same way on the NT server. Our systems person has only been able
to get it to work for MSIE users; Netscape users are locked out
completely. Does this make sense? Or has our systems person
missed something fundamental?

Walter W. Giesbrecht                             walterg at yorku.ca
Data Librarian                          (416) 736-2100 ext. 77551
York University