[WEB4LIB] Password protection and Win95

James Klock j-klock at evanston.lib.il.us
Mon Feb 8 17:19:48 EST 1999

At 01:52 PM 2/8/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Any ideas of how to configure
>Win95 to prevent circumventing the Windows logon password dialog box?  I
>know that any solution will probably only be slightly better than the lousy
>protection it gives now, but any improvement would be nice.

Sorry-- stick to NT, which actually cares who you logon as.  You may note
that Windows 95 not only allows you to skip the logon, it doesn't care what
username you use anyway, as there is NO file security, NO notion of
disallowing resources based on username, etc.  In fact, the ONLY thing that
Windows 95 ever does with Logon information is pass it along to other
machines across the network.
Windows NT, on the other hand, is at heart a real multiuser operating
system, which can be set up with all of these features, even in a
non-networked environment.  It's still not my favorite multiuser OS, but at
least it IS a multiuser OS.

James