[WEB4LIB] Password protection and Win95

Darryl Friesen Darryl.Friesen at usask.ca
Mon Feb 8 17:10:51 EST 1999

>I forgot to change the subject line.  Also, after some emails in response I
>realize I need to add some more information: we don't have an NT network
>here, no NT workstations, no NT servers.  We are just now getting people
>upgraded from DOS and Win3.1 (on 286 and 386 machines) to Win95 (replacing
>mother boards and adding memory so we can do that).

If you don't have NT workstations/servers to do authentication Glen Davies
suggestion (about editing the registry) probably won't work. Otherwise, it's
not a bad idea.

As for Win95's password protection:  I don't think the goal was security so
much as it was managing personal preferences/settings etc.  Multiple users on
the same machine each get their own desktop settings, colors, Start menus etc
etc.

If you're really concerned about security you should install NT Workstation
instead of Windows 95.  I see your at an educational institution, so the cost
of NT Workstation should be about the same as Windows 95 (maybe less).

There may be some 3rd party products that do what you want though.

- Darryl

   Darryl Friesen, B.Sc., Programmer/Analyst    Darryl.Friesen at usask.ca
   Consulting & Development                     http://gollum.usask.ca/
   Department of Computing Services                 163 Murray Building
   University of Saskatchewan                              Main Library