IE 5/NT installation problem

Kenneth R. Irwin kirwin at wittenberg.edu
Fri Dec 3 14:31:06 EST 1999

Hi folks,

I just installed a copy of IE 5.0 on one of our library lab terminals (an
NT station that requires a university login -- not a plain public
terminal), and found that while I could use it just fine,
non-administrators cannot. Here's what's going on:

The Iexplore.exe permissions for general users are set to "(RX)" --
1. When a non-admin user opens the program, there comes a message saying
that only administrative users can use the Internet Connection Wizard. But
since the machines are already on the campus network, that's unnecessary --
clicking "OK" brings up the default microsoft page as usual.
2. If the user types in a location, e.g. http://www.wittenberg.edu, an
error message says that access to the site is disallowed.
3. If the user types in a location *without the protocol*, eg:
www.wittenberg.edu, it works!
4. Following links works just fine.

Does anyone have a clue about what's going on? it sounds like somewhere in
the all the mess of files that IE creates, I need to change some
configurations, but I have no idea what or where. Among other things, I'd
like it to not attempt to start the Internet Connection wizard.

Help!
(curiously, when I installed the same version on the reference desk
computer a few months ago, it worked just fine, for administrators and
general users alike.)

Thanks,
Ken

Kenneth R. Irwin                                    kirwin at wittenberg.edu
Reference/Electronic Resources Librarian            (937) 327-7594
Thomas Library, Wittenberg University