[WEB4LIB] Netscape Pop-up window

Samuel Mcdonald smcdon at rci.rutgers.edu
Tue Aug 24 11:30:38 EDT 1999

Hi:

I assume that your 'home page' is YOUR library page, therefore, it is what
is loaded when Netscape is started.

If you put in the Javascript code, then it will pop-up on load.  However,
users will see it everytime they go 'back' to that page or click 'Home'.
I suppose that one could suppress this action using cookies somehow
though.  Alternatively, you could have a JavaScript that you check to see
if the url of your pop-up (if you did it as external HTML), was in the
history list, if so, no pop when returning to the home page.

This is the HTML solution, there may be some way to reprogram Netscape
somehow to do this, but I don't know how. I realize that this doesn't
really mean 'b4 netscape finishes execution'.  I guess if you could figure
out where the bitmap (I assume it is a bitmap) for the start splash
graphic is located, you could edit that, perhaps even make it larger.
Maybe even find out if there is a marker for how many second it is
displayed.

http://javascript.internet.com/navigation/customized-popup.html
Here's a nifty bit of code that I saw today in a newsletter.
..make sure that you use 'onload' of course.

related stuff..
Neoplanet..customizable browser built on IE4 code
http://www.neoplanet.com/

or try
'Customzilla'..beta?..tryware?
http://www.custombrowser.com/

--YT, Sam

Samuel J. McDonald                                smcdon at rci.rutgers.edu
Webmaster                              http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/
Rutgers University Libraries                        Voice (732) 932-7505
Alexander Library, 169 College Ave., New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1163