[WEB4LIB] PC-based web server

sean dreilinger sean at durak.org
Fri Apr 9 20:47:38 EDT 1999

"VanderHart, Robert" wrote:
> Our library is looking into several options for future hosting of our
> website.  One thing we would like to consider is converting a regular
> desktop PC into a web server.  Has anyone done this, and if so, what all is
> involved?  Any cost estimates for undertaking a project like this?  Is this
> even a good idea to consider?

like some others have mentioned, a lot depends on your audience, the
content you will be serving them, and how (if) your web content is
created and updated.

there are technical considerations beyond the box involved (btw a little
486 with modest ram can be a great server of static docs, no problem)
such as your connection to the internet, anticipated traffic, and
desired service level (you want 24/7 99.99% uptime? or just a
development server that can flake out on friday and not be fixed until
monday).

outsourcing your web hosting is one option that may appeal to you if
your internet connection is lightweight or your lan also carries
sensitive information. $30/mo buys some pretty good ISP-based web
hosting these days, and co-location (isp term here, not library term) is
a compromise - you park your pc on their backbone for a fatter pipe,
higher price, and you do the system administration.

there's an outline which you might use as a checklist for the overall
project here:
http://durak.org/sean/pubs/ili/web-roundtable/

good luck & have a good weekend!
--