[WEB4LIB] Re: Communication between Librarian & Webmaster?

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Thu Sep 17 08:13:05 EDT 1998

Roy, you say that as someone with at least one foot in the sea of public
service librarianship.  Doesn't every library have a handful of patrons
grumbling to themselves, "I can never get what I want out of those jerks
at the reference desk..."?

At least part of the problem is the notion of "getting something out of"
systems.  A non-dysfunctional (I suppose that would be "functional") web
site simply won't come about through that kind of predatorial attempt to
coerce another party into serving one's own perceived higher priority
needs.

While it never hurts to have some grasp of the other person's realm of
expertise--as a last resort, if nothing else--why not make one trip to the
systems office with a batch of chocolate chip cookies before you haul out
the red-hot pokers?  In sufficient quantity, cookies have an amazing
ability to get the other guy to see what you're trying to do, understand
why you're doing it, and how it fits into the overall scheme of things.
That's when you'll get the "Oh, sure, I can do that" or "Here's an even
better way to do that" reaction.

'Course, if your sysadmin or webmaster really is a mutant troll who
doesn't respond to cookies, you've still got those red-hot pokers in
reserve.  But in general, you catch more flies with honey than with
vinegar.

Thomas ("Actually, you catch more with manure") Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu