[WEB4LIB] Re: Communication between Librarian & Webmaster?

Roy Tennant rtennant at library.berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 16 14:43:25 EDT 1998

To follow up a bit on Brian's identification of different roles, we have
compartmentalized the following roles:

* Overall site management: server policies, procedures, content
management, etc.
* Technical support: server software configuration, installation,
troubleshooting, etc.
* Administrative support: moving files around, helping "data owners" put
their files up, etc.
* Data Owners: those with the "stuff" that needs to go online and who also
have the responsibility to mark it up or see that it is done

Each role is performed by (at least one) separate person. The only
librarian involved (except for the data owners) is the Web Manager, who
performs the overall site management role. But what we have found is that
this individual must also have a fairly thorough technical knowledge as
well. This is because the person performing the technical support is not
going to go out looking for work. Therefore, they do not volunteer
information about unused server capabilities or the like. That means it is
up to the librarian Web Manager to know all the possibilities (including
knowing when the server must be reconfigured by the technical support
person) so they know whe to hold the tech support person's feet to the
fire.

I teach a lot of HTML workshops, and if I hear anything repeated time and
again it is the lament that they can't get what they want out of whomever
is managing their Web server. Most often this is an overworked technical
support person who finds it much easier just to say no than to even look
into how difficult it would be to fulfill the request. I doubt that a
public service librarian would have the same knee-jerk response. But
unfortunately what they are left with having to do is learning enough
about what is possible so that they can go back to this person and say
"Hey, this is trivial -- go into the srm.conf file, change this parameter
for me and restart the server".

So...bottom line: if you have overall content responsibility for a Web
server, crack a book. Study the capabilities of your Web server software
so you know when to tell your tech support person that they're wrong -- it
isn't difficult and it *is* necessary. If it's going to help your users,
don't take no for an answer. Or, if you get no for an answer, retreat,
do your homework, and make your case. Let them know you're serious and you
won't be put off so easily.
Roy Tennant