[WEB4LIB] Re: help with FrontPage

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Sat Oct 24 17:37:38 EDT 1998

>>2.  the alignment of the cells within the table is off when the page is
>displayed in two of our small monitors and the color of the graphic
>supporting the image map is also wrong.  Is there anything I can do to the
>page so that it will display properly in all  monitors.
>
>I looked at your table cells and noticed that you are using percent widths.
>This may be playing havoc with the layout on smaller monitors, particularly
>if the percent width of the cell containing the image doesn't allow enough
>room for the graphic, which would alter the cell next to it. Using percents
>for cell widths is disallowed in HTML 3.2 and 4.0, as I recall.

And for a pretty sound reason (although it's a construct I will continue to
use on occasion until COL and COLGRP are widely supported).   All versions
of Netscape that do anything with <TD WIDTH="xx%"> calculate the percentage
as a fraction of the table's width, as do IE 4.x and 5.0b.  IE 3.x, however,
calculates <TD WIDTH="xx%"> as a fraction of the *screen's* width.  So this
table might be very strangely rendered on IE 3.0:

<TABLE WIDTH="75%">
<TR>
  <TD WIDTH="67%">A wide cell.</TD>
  <TD>This cell might be narrower than you think.</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>

>> I know the color is probably controlled by the settings in the windows
>display within the control panel, but automation has locked us out of that
>area of those computers.  I'm assuming that I have no control over how the
>color will display in Joe Public's monitor if he has it set to a limited
>number of colors.
>
>Nope. But, what you can do is try to use 'browser safe' color palettes when
>you design graphics. It reduces the number of colors you have to work with,
>but at least your colors won't look too funky on PCs using 256 colors.

True.  The mnemonic for the 216 safe color palette is that the RGB values
are all hex multiples of 33 (00, 33, 66, 99, CC, FF).  So a "safe" medium
blue is #000099 -- not #000080, which throws some people off.

Thomas Dowling
Ohio Library and Information Network
tdowling at ohiolink.edu