[WEB4LIB] Re: metasearch engines

Jean Hewlett hewlett at usfca.edu
Sat Oct 24 13:32:30 EDT 1998

I do not agree with the original poster's assertion that it is necessary to
use several search engines in order to get good search results. My experience
is that the normal problem with web searching is getting too much that's not
relevant, not needing to find more.  I am very much in agreement with Ward
Price's remarks that are quoted below.

Twenty hours a week I do second-level reference for a regional multi-type
library consortium. Much of it is done over the web, using Alta Vista, Yahoo,
Michigan Electronic Library, and various proprietary indexes such as WorldCat,
Search Bank, Proquest, and Gale Net. About 80% of my web searching is done
with Alta Vista--I almost never use metasearch engines, because they rarely
turn up anything I can't find with a well-constructed search query on Alta
Vista. If I get too much on Alta Vista, I generally move to a categorized list
of sites such as Yahoo or MEL. (To be fair, I need to say that my boss
definitely does not agree with me. He uses several metasearch engines
regularly.)

The rest of the week, I run a small academic library at a sattelite campus,
where nearly all of our resources are accessed via the net. Most of the
students have some idea how to search the web (not always very effectively).
My main challenges are to convince them that our online periodical indexes are
better tools for their academic research, to teach them how to select the most
appropriate databases, and to train them how to use the databases' often
contradictory and confusing search interfaces.

Jean Hewlett
North Bay Cooperative Library System & University of San Francisco
hewlett at usfca.edu