[WEB4LIB] Re: Email, chat, etc.

thom thom at indiana.edu
Wed Oct 14 18:14:34 EDT 1998

On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Dan Lester wrote:

> At 09:15 AM 10/14/98 -0700, Bob Rasmussen wrote:
> >Why not set up that old UNIX system with its dozens of serial ports, all
> >those old dumb terminals, and Pine in an email room? Just a thought.
>
> Probably because this library is not in the business of being an ISP or an
> internet coffee shop.

I have to respond to this one. My local Public Library which is called
Monroe County Public Library (MCPL) in the quiet part of Indiana has
within its walls the local community net called Hoosiernet which provides
free text based accounts for any resident of Monroe County who desires one
along with ISP access for advanced services and businesses. So the ISP is
'within' the library as a separate org. MCPL also houses the local
Community Access Television station which trains any community member in
making television. Again housed 'within' the library. I do think that the
librarians get a little disturbed when the Pizza King guy delivers
directly to the new book section, but just a little.

Hey, I don't know about you but I can't think unless I'm chewin'.

--thom

 \\\\////                tHoM gIllEsPiE
 /ww  ww\    Indiana University	       thom at indiana.edu
6 (*][*) ?   Dept of Telecom 346       812-855-3254 (v)
 \  .7  /    Bloomington, In. 47406    812-855-7955 (f)
  ( --')       www.indiana.edu/~slizzard/resume/page.html
   WWWW      MIME: Masters in Immersive Mediated Environments
  / WW \       www.indiana.edu/~slizzard/dmd/immersion.html