[WEB4LIB] Re: Email, chat, etc.

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Wed Oct 14 17:36:45 EDT 1998

At 09:15 AM 10/14/98 -0700, Bob Rasmussen wrote:
>Why not set up that old UNIX system with its dozens of serial ports, all
>those old dumb terminals, and Pine in an email room? Just a thought.

Probably because this library is not in the business of being an ISP or an
internet coffee shop.

Also, we don't have an old unix machine (or any old pcs we could run linux
on).

And we don't have any old dumb terminals around, either.

Finally, we don't have space for such a place, even though the campus has a
dozen or more such places.  They're called computer labs.

I'm also quite sure our management's priorities would not to spend the time
or money on this idea, even if all of the conditions were met.  You'd still
have to keep the old beast running, setup accounts, etc, etc, etc.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716-7115 USA 208-383-0165
dan at 84.com   http://www.84.com/  http://www.idaholibraries.org/