Navigator: Select Printing

rjtiess at juno.com rjtiess at juno.com
Thu Nov 12 07:44:34 EST 1998

"Charles P. Hobbs" <transit at primenet.com> wrote:
>Print Preview is nice, but I'd like to also have Netscape
>be able to just print a selection of the web page (i.e.
>the user selects a portion of the text with the mouse,
>and then tells the print dialog that he only wants that
>particular portion printed). In the library where I work,
>that would save us lots of paper . . .

A couple of years ago I developed something called
WebJotter just for this, as patrons and staff members
both wanted a means of printing select textual parts of
a site.  WebJotter requires a JavaScript-compatible
browser and is at http://www.thrall.org/webjot

WebJotter can preserve _some_ spatial text formatting,
but does not replicate font attributes.  WebJotter works
best when working with a page or so of text.  Due to
reformatting routines, WebJotter may take a while to
render a new page--but it's worth it if you're saving
paper and ink.

What distinguishes this from the obvious alternative
of Notepad is that will render HTML tags (if you insert
them), and you can also send saved text to any
e-mail address.  You can compress text even further
by inserting /font or /small tags before and after text
entered.  Another benefit:  those workstations locking
out desktops/icons/all other programs can now access
this program without adjusting security parameters.

Staff members and patrons at Middletown Thrall Library
have been using it for some time now with much
success.

Robert Tiess
rjtiess at juno.com

http://members.tripod.com/~rtiess