Printing (was: Re: [WEB4LIB] Netscape Navigator Stand-Alone

Charles P. Hobbs transit at primenet.com
Wed Nov 11 14:50:48 EST 1998

> Also, according to a staff person from the Seattle agency that is
> implementing the grant, Bill Gates himself was informed of another
> advantageous feature of Netscape- the ability for users to do a "print
> preview" which he says should come out in the next version of IE.
> Again, this feature like the no e-mail feature is important in public
> Internet environments where often there is a charge incurred for
> printing.

Print Preview is nice, but I'd like to also have Netscape be able to just
print a selection of the web page (i.e. the user selects a portion of the
text with the mouse, and then tells the print dialog that he only wants
that particular portion printed). In the library where I work, that would
save us lots of paper . . .

I know IE does this, but replacing NS with IE at this time seems to be
more trouble than its worth, primarily because of its divergent
interpretation of Javascript. (On our machines, the web browser is running
all the time, and a special homepage, without the usual browser controls
such as Back, Forward, etc, is used as the library's Internet/Database
menu)