Judge Rules Against Filters at Library

P.A. Gantt pgantt at icx.net
Sat Nov 28 12:42:20 EST 1998

> before I realized.   You will probably say here that I should have
> taught my child what not to view.  I have and will continue to,
> however in the provious mentioned site I recieved no warning that it
> was an adult site.  My first clue was the pictures.  How is my child
> supposed to know what web sites are bad when even I cannot tell from
> just the name of the site?

Hmmmm. Experiment: How about opening up an encyclopedia and
looking up reproductive system. Samething. Varies from publisher
to publisher. So get out your scissors.

> 2.  Why should I as a library patron have to avoid the computer
> section of the library if I do not want to see porn?  THe computers
> are out in the open, and anyone walking by can see what is being shown
> on the screen.  In my library now the computers are in the young adult
> section of the library.

Oh? considered putting them closer supervised area in a
pod/workstation? That there is periodic monitoring by
a human? (see psych 101, intermitten reinforcement of
learned behaviors - Pavlov dog theory)

Don't forget the history file or an access
password that could be issued after a signed and dated
acceptable use agreement.

>  Should I have my teenager avoi8d this section
> of the library just because some one wants to access pornography.

Nope. See above.

Also remember these words:

Acceptable use policy.

> I believe in freedom of speach but is it truly freedom of speach if it
> harms innocent children.  I would never say that pornography should
> not be allowed on the internet, but there are certain places that it
> should not be allowed.

Hey I'd just as soon see it gone [porn]. I don't like it either but then
I don't go looking for it nor do I stick on an accidental
wander any longer than it takes to hit X.

> If most people were to access it at work their job would be in
> jepardy.  WE already restrict sites in some instances.--like work,
> school, ect.  Why is our library system any different?

Because the library is free, public and tax supported.
Look in the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

> <<< "P.A. Gantt" <pgantt at icx.net> 11/26  6:14a >>>
> Here is a post I made to another list:
>
> "The job of shielding kids from Net pornography in a
> free speech system can be accomplished constitutionally only by
> parents."
>
> --
> [SOURCE: Washington Post (A18), AUTHOR: WP Editorial Staff]

No porn quan ner star neither. Just like the Const. and
B of R just the way it is thank you very much!

P.A.
pgantt at icx.net