Netscape Navigator Stand-Alone

Monica King moniking at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 11 14:02:06 EST 1998

Andrew and others-
I am not only disappointed at Netscape's response, but surprised at
their lack of initiative in continuing to develop this much needed
product for computers in public environments.  I have given several
presentations on workstation security and one of the first components of
a good security plan involves using a browser without e-mail
functionality  (that is, if your library wants to disallow this
feature.)

And here's something else for Netscape to consider, in Louisiana we are
the recipients of a Gates Library Foundation grant which put "Gates"
model computers in every public library in our state.  These models
naturally came installed with IE.  The e-mail functions were removed
using the NT policy editor. So, you have to wonder if Microsoft might
soon consider developing their own stand-alone version in the near
future.

Also, according to a staff person from the Seattle agency that is
implementing the grant, Bill Gates himself was informed of another
advantageous feature of Netscape- the ability for users to do a "print
preview" which he says should come out in the next version of IE.
Again, this feature like the no e-mail feature is important in public
Internet environments where often there is a charge incurred for
printing.

With so many computers being placed in publically accessible
environments (particularly libraries) it amazes me the sparsity of
products that address these very unique public computing needs.
Netscape seemed to have an edge for once, but it doesn't seem like that
will last for long.

Monica King
Ouachita Parish Public Library
Monroe, Louisiana