Chat Rooms (Policy)

Mike McGuire mike at tcnet.org
Mon Mar 23 17:59:17 EST 1998

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, Melanie Liechty wrote:

<among other things>

> So the decision has been made to enforce a policy of 'no chat rooms.' We
> are interested in how other libraries have handled this problem, and
> need some ideas for the exact wording of policies.

I administer the Traverse Community Network. We do not offer chat ... it's
a resource hungry hog.

I'm also Director of the Traverse Area District Library. We only have one
public access workstation now but are building a new main library which
will have 19 in a public computing center. Again, there will be no chat
and for the same reason as above.

The only exception would be a moderated community forum on a limited
topic.

Just because something *can* be offered doesn't mean it *has* to be
offered.

As for wording of a policy, keep it positive, listing only the services
you offer (and *not* listing those you don't).

Mike McGuire