Chat Rooms (Policy)

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Mon Mar 23 17:31:50 EST 1998

One option, if your using win95, wfw, and/or on a Novell system (maybe
mandatory) is to continously send reminders to that computer that other
people need to use that work station and that their time is up.  In windows
95 and workgroups, the program Winpopup.  Type a message and send it to that
computer, although this may be a last resort because it is time consuming on
the library employee.

We had someone just recently almost all day on a web chat room.  Since we
had no policy and there were plenty computers available, we didn't take any
action, but filter software could prohibit accessing particular chat sites.
Within the past 4 monthes someone on this list told about a program that can
reside on one computer and act as a proxy for the others with a list of
sites that can or can't be accessed.  I don't remember the name of the
program but I think it was only available under win95.  The name of the
program should be in the archives.

Thomas

Melanie Liechty wrote:

> We are on the verge of eliminating the use of chat rooms on our four
> public access computers. This has been after much argument, discussion
> and research. As a public library we do not want to censor the use of
> the internet. Yet as a medium sized public library with only 4 computers
> for the public to use for the internet, we need to eliminate some of our
> 'problems' and free the computers to those who need them for research
> and reports. Our 1 hour time limit hasn't helped as there are those who
> continually abuse the limit.
>
> So the decision has been made to enforce a policy of 'no chat rooms.' We
> are interested in how other libraries have handled this problem, and
> need some ideas for the exact wording of policies.
>
> Thank you for your time.
>
> --
> Melanie Liechty (mliechty at inter.state.lib.ut.us)
> http://www.logan.lib.ut.us
> The Logan Library
> 255 North Main
> Logan, Utah 84321
> 801-750-9870
> Fax:  801-753-5026

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II                  University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/
Voice:  704 262 2797   FAX:    704 262 3001

In librarianship--as elsewhere--the quality of service is not measured by
the number of complaints received