disabling printing of web-based images

Timothy E. Thompson tethomps at lorenzo.syr.fi.it
Wed Mar 11 03:24:04 EST 1998

As far as I know, there's no way to disable printing of web images, but I
thought I'd throw it out to the list in the off chance that somebody might
know of a trick.

We want to prevent our users from printing out JPEG's & GIF's in web pages
because they tend to use up toner very quickly.  But we still want to allow
them to print out text.  Anybody know of a trick, HTML, Javascript, Perl or
otherwise that could do this?

Somewhat related musing:   now that the Mozilla (Navigator) code is going
to be public domain soon, it sure would be nice if some smart library-type
programmers out there could come out with a fully customizable Navigator,
optimized for the kinds of things libraries want, like disabling printing,
kiosk mode, making it impossible for patrons to change settings, etc.
How many posts have we seen recently about how to disable this or that
feature on Navigator?!  I just wish I knew how to program in C or Java!

Thanks in advance.

Timothy E. Thompson, Librarian
Syracuse University Florence
Piazza Savonarola #15