Secure an application/service?

Mary Elise Haug mehaug at incolsa.palni.edu
Wed Mar 11 11:27:09 EST 1998

> After lurking for some time I now need
> to ask a question. I would like some
> feed back on how others are securing
> applications/services? We would like to
> restrict access to Ebsco to only our
> students. Computers Services has had the
> work order for almost 6 months now so we
> are trying to solve this ourselves. If I
> could get our solutions it would be
> greatly appreciated.

Right now we are limiting access to Ebsco using ip addresses/domain names.
We do these by having the web page that links to EbscoHost in a separate
directory and we use a .htaccess file to limit access to that directory.
With apache you can also use username/passwords in a similar manner.

Ebsco runs a cgi script on their end that looks for the correct referring
url.

I'm looking into other methods of authentication--but this works fine when
you know ip addresses/domains and it is acceptable to Ebsco.

Mary-Elise

Mary-Elise Haug
INSPIRE System Administrator
mehaug at incolsa.palni.edu