need for new list?

David Bevington dbevington at unam.na
Tue Mar 10 09:49:28 EST 1998

Mike Mitchell wrote:

> I definitely agree that the list should not split. I think the technical
> issues dovetail nicely with all the other issues discussed here and I don't
> want the added overhead of subscribing to yet another list.

I too subscribe to many lists and recently subject librarians have been given a
short Web training course and responsibility for looking after their own areas
of the library Web pages. I find much of the information in Web4Lib helpful and
useful. Using Topic headings, as happens in aother lists I subscribe to,
allows me to mange the email flow and read only those messages I want, I simply
save the rest to look at home. it also doesn't mean a new list. Many of the
topics to be discussed in the proposed new list I feel would slot in well to
Web4Lib. Technical topics are something me and my colleagues will soon have to
come to grips with, it would be easier if such topics were included in this
list, which a number of us currently subscribe too. Don't add to the problems
of email overload.

BTW, I use a small program called email mainpulator that lets me get subject
headings from the university server and delete messages I don't want to read
without even downloading the message. This also helps me to mange my email and
avoid junk and spam and other unwanted messages. Of course if I could then
prioritise and download urgent email ahead of the rest ........

David

David
Bevington
Email: dbevington at unam.na
Acquisitions
Librarian                                                              Tel:
+(264) 61 206 3871
University of Namibia
Library                                                       Fax:  +(264) 61
206 3876
340 Mandume Ndemufayo Avenue
Private Bag 13301
http://namib.unam.na/4320/library.htm