Alternatives to navigation frames

Sean Crumley scrumley at erols.com
Fri Mar 6 15:14:44 EST 1998

I've been off the list for a few months, so if this topic has already been
beaten to death, my apologies.

I'm trying to redesign a site that would include a wisp of a banner
identifying the library atop the page and a marginal navigation menu on the
left. Nothing inspired, but functional model.

I can accomplish this easily enough using frames. Having the banner in its
own frame isn't a sine qua non, but I like the idea  of having one menu
frame file to edit as need arises. I also like the idea that this menu can
be plain text rather than an image-map.

These conveniences notwithstanding, I'd prefer to find an alternative to
frames for a number of reasons:
     1) User confusion with printing
     2) My inability to set my content frame as the active frame by default
     3) Problems bookmarking individual pages
     4) Missing information when a content frame is printed or bookmarked
     5) Compatibility problems with older browsers
     6) Accessibility issues in general
     7) No one seems to like frames

I have already considered (and so far rejected) a few alternatives: Footer
menus, NetObjects Fusion and its Master Borders, image maps.

I'd be much obliged for any and all suggestions.

Slainte.

Sean E. Crumley <scrumley at erols.com>
Library Information Systems
District of Columbia Public Library

Without Woodie's, Washington would be just another
small town surrounded by Bloomingdales.
       -Art Buchwald