Alternatives to navigation frames

David Stern david.e.stern at yale.edu
Sun Mar 8 11:29:58 EST 1998

One option for banners (or side bars) is tables ... see an example at

  http://www.library.yale.edu/scilib/library.html

Printing and URLs are not affected, and even lynx viewers can deal with
them ... although the data does show up as a block before the page text.

  David

> I've been off the list for a few months, so if this topic has already been
> beaten to death, my apologies.
>
> I'm trying to redesign a site that would include a wisp of a banner
> identifying the library atop the page and a marginal navigation menu on the
> left. Nothing inspired, but functional model.
>
> I can accomplish this easily enough using frames. Having the banner in its
> own frame isn't a sine qua non, but I like the idea  of having one menu
> frame file to edit as need arises. I also like the idea that this menu can
> be plain text rather than an image-map.
>
> These conveniences notwithstanding, I'd prefer to find an alternative to
> frames for a number of reasons:
>      1) User confusion with printing
>      2) My inability to set my content frame as the active frame by default
>      3) Problems bookmarking individual pages
>      4) Missing information when a content frame is printed or bookmarked
>      5) Compatibility problems with older browsers
>      6) Accessibility issues in general
>      7) No one seems to like frames
>
> I have already considered (and so far rejected) a few alternatives: Footer
> menus, NetObjects Fusion and its Master Borders, image maps.
>
> I'd be much obliged for any and all suggestions.
>
> Slainte.
>
> Sean E. Crumley <scrumley at erols.com>
> Library Information Systems
> District of Columbia Public Library
>
> Without Woodie's, Washington would be just another
> small town surrounded by Bloomingdales.
>        -Art Buchwald

  David Stern
  Director of Science Libraries and Information Services
  Kline Science Library
  Yale University
  219 Prospect Street
  P.O. Box 208111