One Librarian's Story By Heidi Borton

Richard A. Edwards edwardsr at elwha.evergreen.edu
Tue Jul 14 14:04:32 EDT 1998

I keep trying to sort out the issues about our making the Web available
and difficult materials (sexual materials in this discussion) or functions
(email, etc.) and the age of our patrons (the children issue).

The current version of the Library Bill of Rights says "Libraries should
provide materials and information presenting all points of view on
current and historical issues. Materials should not be proscribed or
removed because of partisan or doctrinal disapproval."

And from this the "Resolution on the Use of Filtering Software in
Libraries"  from the ALA website states: "Resolved, That the American
Library Association affirms that the use of filtering software by
libraries to block access to constitutionally protected speech violates
the Library Bill of Rights".

Further, the statement from the ALA/Intellectual Freedom Committee from
July 1, 1997 pro-actively advises us to:

"Promote Internet use by facilitating user access to Web Sites that
satisfy user interest and needs."

"Create and promite library Web pages designed both for general use and
for use by children. These pages should point to sites that have been
reviewed by library staff."

"Consider privacy screens or arranging terminals away from public view to
protect a user's confidentiality."

As to our patrons use of our materials and collections, I don't think you
can really talk about the Web in the same way. While we perhaps wouldn't
spend money on Hustler, we also don't spend money subscribing to sexual
resources on the Web either. We spend our money on EbscoHost or Proquest
or other resources. Perhaps creating more web pages leading children and
adult users to resources we wish to support is a better approach than
denying other material patrons want to view.

As to the age issue, in keeping with the Library Bill of Rights statement
that "A person's right to use a library should not be denied or abridged
because of origin, age, background or views", I don't stop a child from
checking out "The Joy of Lesbian Sex" [which is liberally illustrated and
on our shelves] so why would I deny them access to other materials?

Of course I am at an academic library and not a public one (though we are
open to the public). Perhaps if I had to face more irate parents I would
be looking for other ways to deal with it, but I would hope that I would
continue to agree with the March 1998 draft of "Libraries: An American
Value" by ALA which states: "We support the rights of all individuals,
including children and young adults, to determine which resources are
appropriate and necessary for themselves".

Rich Edwards
Head of Library Circulation
The Evergreen State College
Olympia, WA