Allowing access to e-mail only

Slak slak at infohouse.com
Tue Jul 14 11:02:27 EDT 1998

Wanting to comment on the below.  As a library school student, learning in
an environment where Internet and technology issues are actively taught, I
was amazed at the recitence of some librarians at the institution I
volunteered at to even touch the technology, let alone abuse it.  If you
ban them from the world wide web, they lose out on learning skills that
could be transferred to patrons, and restrict themselves from a wealth of
(less than organized) but beneficial information.  As well as curbing their
professional growth.  I agree, what kind of atmosphere do employers wish to
foster?

>Regarding restricting employee access to the WWW, the central
>consideration should be what kind of atmosphere one wishes to foster. The
>all too common misconception that web access is an invitation to avoid
>work, presupposes that employees are disposed to do so. It also assumes
>that the potential work-related benefits offered by such access is
>negligible. This, I think, would be especially incongruous among
>librarians. Rather than take the adversarial (and patronizing) stance of
>resticting access, better to offer it as an additional tool to be used by
>employees with a shared sense of mission.

>Brian Sheppard
>Ann Arbor, MI
>
>E-mail:  bboru at alumni.si.umich.edu

Aigars Kildiss