More Communicator telnet troubles

Jim Green jfgreen at pilot.msu.edu
Thu Jul 23 08:51:00 EDT 1998

Here's the best solution I've found:

A piece of freeware, called NS-Help, which is easy to set up and which will
fix the problem of getting Internet Explorer and later versions of Netscape
to handle telnet: and tn3270: links with any telnet or tn3270 client (or at
least any one I've tried).  Find it at this URL:
http://www.louisville.edu/~mopurc01/ns-help.html

I found the "batch file" method works only with some clients.  NS-Help is
better.  A huge round of applause should go to Michael Purcell, of U. of
Louisville, for giving us this solution.  There is a posting in the Web4Lib
archives, from May, 1998, author David Atkins, on this.

The ultimate solution, IMHO, is to fix the telnet and tn3270 clients
themselves.  The problem is that they choke on the "tn3270://" or
"telnet://" attached to the beginning of the host name.  At Wayne State we
had a site license for Hummingbird's HostExplorer 4.0 (successor to McGill
U.'s TCP3270; the best tn3270 client I've seen, but definitely not
free....).  I was told by Hummingbird that beginning with version 6.0 it
would handle these links.  That seems late in the day for a commercial
product to be made compatible with the World Wide Web.  See the Atkins post
for some info on QWS3270, which basically says you have to buy the
commercial version to get this feature.  Maybe someone will volunteer to
hack the freeware version?