feugifacilisi and latin-like gibberish

Joe Schallan jschall at glenpub.lib.az.us
Fri Jan 9 13:02:48 EST 1998

At 9:02 AM PST on 1/9/98, pnaess wrote:

>Can someone explain the curious - and surely unintended - occurrence of
>Latin or bogus Latin at certain web-sites? A recurring text begins:

In the publishing world -- for the purpose of creating magazine-page
mockups -- such Latin gibberish is often used.

Say you're designing a layout for a feature article . . . you have
your photos and an idea of the graphic design you want to do,
but the text still isn't ready.  You use the pseudo-Latin, in whatever
typeface and font you've selected, to give you a feel for what the
text is going to look like.  Type sample books also often use the
pseudo-Latin, too.   I worked in the mag business before the days of
PageMaker (still have the Exacto knife scars to prove it), and it
sounds like this convention has been brought over into the
digital realm.

Josephus Schallanius
Reference Librarian and Web Editor
Glendale (AZ) Public Library
(formerly managing editor of IEEE MICRO and
IEEE Computer Graphics magazines)
jschall at glenpub.lib.az.us