blocking specific URL's

Deb Stuart dstuart at jcls.org
Mon Feb 2 17:15:14 EST 1998

Hi,

I have posted this request to multiple listservs so please excuse the
duplication.

Our public access Internet workstations are standalone, running Win 3.1
and Netscape 3.0.  We have the machines locked down with Ikiosk which works
wonderfully. Now we would like to block specific URL's but need advice on
what software would work best.  We do NOT want to use common filtering
software such as CyberPatrol or Surfwatch unless we could choose to only
block URL's and not have to use their filtering databases.  We have no
desire to filter anything other than our own choice of URL's.  Do any of
you use or know of such a product?

There are plenty of filtering programs available and a blocking program
called X-Stop that blocks you from typing certain words that are on their
word list. Of course you can add to the list but we only want the ability
to stop patrons from going to particular sites.

Any suggestions?

Deb Stuart
dstuart at jcls.org
Website/Internet Coordinator