Browsers

lerczak at juno.com lerczak at juno.com
Mon Feb 2 17:14:39 EST 1998

There's something I've been musing over lately that I'd like to get a
couple of opinions on. (people with opinions? here?? no.... ;-) )

I recently downloaded IE 4 since I'd been misinformed that they had added
a much needed/desired print preview option. For the most part our public
likes to use Netscape, but there are a few who like Microsoft.  As it
turns out, there is no print preview option (which has got to be some
kind of major oversight) and now Microsoft has gone wacky with channels.
After some playing around I decided that the new version of IE had too
many security holes for me to lock down (the access to My Computer, etc.)
- we are using WinU for our security program and are happy with how it
works with our current setup. Not only is IE 4 tough to secure but it
seems way too overwhelming to the basic Internet user ("Why did the
screen do that?"). To make a long story short (too late!) I'm going to
put IE 3 back on our public access comps. I'm also of the same opinion
about Netscape Nav. 3 vs. Netscape Communicator.

What I'm wondering is if there is anyone else out there who is eschewing
newer browser versions in favor of easier (less bells and whistles)
versions?  I want to provide the public with the newest and best, but in
my opinion, currently, older is better.

Any thoughts?

Nicki Lerczak

Reference/Internet Librarian  / Olean Public Library
lerczak at juno.com                   \ 134 N. Second St.
home.eznet.net/~opublicl       / Olean, NY 14760
"Eating kittens is just plain wrong!"