RCLS Web Guides

Jerry Kuntz jkuntz at ansernet.rcls.org
Fri Aug 14 09:52:18 EDT 1998

We've created a pointer page to the various web sites developed at our
institution and at our member library institutions, which might be of
interest as an example of collaborative web development among independent
and autonomous institutions. The URL of this "central registry" is:
http://www.rcls.org/guides.htm
The fine print at the top of the page outlines the few guidelines that were
agreed to by the participating libraries. Note that we made a conscious
decision NOT to conform to style sheets; there was consensus that each guide
differed enough in its audience, topic, and organization to warrant separate
web designs.
We grouped the sites into four classes: Internet search tools; topical web
guides (of interest beyond our local region); topical web guides of local
interest; and "pathfinders" that mix web and print resources.
Of recent note are KidsClick! http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/KidsClick!/ , our
children's search engine, whose database is now over 3500 entries. And also
BiblioGraph, http://members.tripod.com/~rtiess/bibliograph.htm,
a neat book citation confirmation search utility developed by Robert Tiess,
webmaster at the Middletown Thrall Library. BiblioGraph is a nice supplement
to our local library catalogs.

                            Jerry Kuntz
                            Ramapo Catskill Library System
                            jkuntz at rcls.org