Free Netscape and libraries

Jeff Beaird Jeff.W.Beaird at wheaton.edu
Mon Apr 20 13:22:50 EDT 1998

Dear Web4lib'ers--

Is there anyone who has (1) successfully edited Netscape 4.0 or
higher into a limited-function browser for use in a public access
area who would also (2) make such available under
Netscape's new source code policies?

We want to install a recent version of Netscape for the
public but without all the bells and whistles.  I can do the
necessary resource editing in Netscape 3.0 ( see
http://infopeople.berkeley.edu:8000/NS/index.html#rsn )
but it looks as though it gets significantly more complicated in
later versions.  I have downloaded the source code for 5.0 from
http://www.mozilla.org but, if somebody else has already
done this, I'd rather not duplicate your work.

Note:  I believe that what I'm suggesting doesn't involve illegal
activity, but if I'm mistaken, please let me know.

Thank you!

Jeff Beaird
Computer Operations Supervisor
Buswell Memorial Library