Viruses

Robert Rasmussen ras at nimbus.anzio.com
Mon Apr 20 16:39:28 EDT 1998

These statements all sound logical to me as a programmer, and are in synch
with my understanding of viruses.

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Chuck Bearden wrote:

> Somebody please (please please!) correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been
> lead to believe the following about virus propagation:
>
> 1)  Boot sector viruses can't spread unless someone runs the executable
> code in the boot sector by trying to boot from the disk in question
> (whether or not it is bootable doesn't matter);
>
> 2)  .exe and .com viruses can't spread unless someone runs the
> infected executable code;
>
> 3)  Macro viruses can't spread unless someone opens a Word/Excel/etc.
> file with a malicious macro in it, and runs the macro.
>
> Note that if 1) is true, one can't get a boot sector virus simply by
> reading files from an infected floppy.  Boot sector code isn't
> executed unless one actually tries to boot (I think).
>

> Am I wrong about any of these?
>
> If all the above propositions are correct, then an initially clean
> machine that has boot-to-floppy disabled, and that won't let users
> install or execute code they bring in, and that won't run document
> macros, is invulnerable to these three types of viruses.
>
> Chuck Bearden
> Network Services Librarian
> Houston Public Library
> Houston, TX  77002
> 713/247-2264 (voice)
> 713/247-1182 (fax)
> cbearden at hpl.lib.tx.us

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: ras at anzio.com
 company e-mail: rsi at anzio.com or sales at anzio.com or support at anzio.com
 ftp://ftp.anzio.com               voice: 503-624-0360
http://www.anzio.com                 fax: 503-624-0760