Trend in design - TOTI (Summary)

Eric Rumsey rumsey at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu
Tue Sep 30 10:54:23 EDT 1997

I agree that pure TOTI may not always be the best approach. Looking at our
own library home page ...
http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin-www/home.html
we use TOTI for some of the section headings, but it's not appropriate for
others, which do better with text descriptions.

For the headings that have TOTI links under them, though, I think the links
are actually at least as descriptive as non-link description would be -
e.g. For the section heading "Basic Information," how better to tell the
user what's there than by listing some links from the section: Hours,
Check-out policies, Location, E-mail Reference?

For original posting and links to TOTI sites -
http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin-www/design/toti.html

Eric Rumsey, Hardin Library for the Health Sciences
University of Iowa, Iowa City IA 52242
<eric-rumsey at uiowa.edu>
319-335-9875 (voice), 319-335-9897 (fax)

>After reviewing the example sites, I think TOTI has value for many cases.

[snip]

<lou at argus-inc.com>