screen resolutions and eye strain

Peter C. Gorman pcgorman at facstaff.wisc.edu
Mon Sep 22 15:40:51 EDT 1997

Bob Rasmussen writes:

>There should be no "down side" to increasing screen resolution, assuming that
>the software you are running allows you to adjust text size. That is, if you
>go to more and smaller pixels, and then increase the text size to compensate,
>you end up with text the same size, but made up of more dots, which should
>INCREASE readability. I recommend 800x600 for a 15-inch (nominal) monitor, and
>1024x768 for a 17-inch.
>
>Icons and graphics are generally not scaled, but I suspect these are not where
>the problem is.

The original poster's problem may not have been with icons and graphics,
but there are undesireable effects which can come from increasing the
resolution of the screen too much. All graphics will appear smaller
compared to the surrounding text, and text included as part of an image
will not scale up. This could pose a problem with maps or other graphical
elements where text is tightly integrated with the graphical content. It is
also a big problem when small graphics are used for characters not in the
browser's normal repertoire: for math symbols or brief passages in Greek.
Less important, but still something to consider, is the effect on the
graphical design of pages when the text and graphic sizes are out of
balance.

In a web environment, you may not be getting much from increasing the
screen resolution if you have to turn right around and increase the font
size. The net increase in screen real estate then comes from shrinking the
graphics - which for many sites is a good thing (!), but is a problem in
the cases mentioned above.

PG
Peter C. Gorman
University of Wisconsin