internet library instruction

Robert J Tiess rjtiess at juno.com
Sun Sep 21 21:22:27 EDT 1997

Nathalie Parent <parentn at umoncton.ca> writes:

>should I teach, only web searching, or everything about the net.

Nathalie, not too long ago I taught several classes for a class
I created, The Modern Job Search, Employment and Career
Development Resources on the Internet.  The class was sponsed
through a LSCA grant via the Ramapo Catskill Library System.
Since the class was designed for anyone and everyone, it had to
be basic.  But, since it addressed a relatively difficult topic--finding
(useful) Job/Career information on the net--it had to progress all
the way up to search engines, boolean operators, ftp, submission
forms, image maps, and more.  The class was about 2 hours
long.  I did not expect anyone to bring notebooks, and so I
prepared handouts for attendants, including a concise glossary
of Internet/WWW terms, as well as a list of web sites as well as
a list of Dewey Decimal numbers where they could find library
material relating to topics discussed.  To my surprise, many
audience members actually took notes, but the handouts
proved to be quite useful, particularly for those few who had
no idea the class covered just so much ground.

How elaborate you may get depends on the duration of your
class and number of sessions you plan.  In two hours, I gave
a brief history of the net, covered major terminology (FTP,
HTTP, HTML, URL, hyperlink), demonstrated search engines
(Yahoo, Webcrawler, Alta Vista), took them through the various
popular functions of the browser, e-mail, explored a variety of
job and career sites, took them through the online resume
submission experience, instructed them on searching
for position titles and openings in job banks, and more,
including a review of the handouts at the end, informing them
how to take the information they both experienced and
physically received and apply that to their job search.
This was clearly an ambitious class, but the attendants were
ambitious themselves, many being unemployed, "between
jobs," or seeking a better job or a rewarding career.  Their
enthusiasm and conditions provided sufficient incentive
to learn.  Other instructional scenarios will surely differ.

For a half hour to one hour class, try sticking to the very basic
aspects of the Internet and World Wide Web.  Teach them
web browser basics, being sure to use an up-to-date graphical
browser, such as Netscape Navigator.  Also show them at
least one search engine.  Yahoo! is perfect, as it's the friendliest
and most popular engine currently out there, and it does offer
linkage to more powerful engines, should users become
comfortable enough to submit their searches elsewhere.
I would ask them to employ their critical skills and common
sense when viewing net-based informationi, as well as to
beware of any online offers or solicitations of any personal
information.  If you have more time or plan future sessions,
explore other search engines, submission forms, e-mail, telnet,
consider mentioning Java, plug-ins, chats, CGI, uploading
and downloading, joining listservs, et al.  There's certainly
no lack of subjects to cover, and one could easily extend
any Internet/WWW explanation into entire college courses.

Also, if you have time, allow for question and answers,
although be prepared to discuss anything.  One gentleman
provoked me into a brief discourse on the Information Age,
why we really aren't there yet and won't be for a while (has
to do with the fact many people in many countries simply
aren't wired or have the equipment, the resources, or the
immediate incentive or liberty to go online).  Q&A gives the
class a sense of the unexpected and keeps the class from
being merely a lecture.  Hands-on training is also a powerful
means of conveying a lesson, and if you have the equipment,
time, and patience, your class could actually go on a guided
tour of the Internet, with you as the tour guide.

Finally, whatever you do, begin simply.  Pick friendly analogies
people can readily relate to.  I used the URL and e-mail address
as telephone number analogy, a search engine being
analogous to the phone directory--only better.  Simplicity
of instruction favors the Internet, or rather the other way
around.  Complexity and too many terms or technicalities too
soon will dissuade students from picking up on the relatively
simple user-end architecture of the net.  There's really no
need, in a general-purpose class, to get into server-client
data negotiation, SMTP, e-mail file attachments, .zip files,
et cetera.  Staying basic will enable students to master the
fundamentals or leave your class with the courage and
determination to learn more.

In fact, you might explain you're still a student, that all of us
are, as the Internet is still young, continues to evolve, surprise
us, to introduce new concerns and phenomena.  As the
technology continues to improve at the client and server
end, the Internet will shapeshift many more times before we
manage to conclude its true global nature, purpose, affect
and potentials.

Good luck with your class(es).  The value of such classes
to the public is immense and powerfully positive.  I highly
recommend them to any library offering public Internet
access or any library seeking a new, modern manner in
which to foster public literacy, opportunity and awareness.
The Internet will only be in its prime when everyone possible
is afforded a substantial chance to participate in its media.
Classes are one important step in securing that opportunity
for patrons.

			Robert J. Tiess
			Middletown Thall Library
			http://www.thrall.org