Electronic libraries

Sheryl Dwinell dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu
Thu Oct 23 14:04:13 EDT 1997

I would say that the first step is to find out what's behind the request
for this information? How clearly have they formulated this idea? Are they
honestly soliciting opinions for a serious investigation in which all sides
will be given equal weight, or do they have some cost-cutting plan in mind
that will taint whatever information is brought to the table. It may sound
sort of paranoid, but I think we've seen in the cataloging world situations
where one of the main reasons to outsource cataloging operations was
monetary and the long term consequences weren't fully thought out. I think
some administrators see libraries as cost inefficient operations and look
for whatever ways they can to nip and tuck. Perhaps they think that by
going 'digital' they can cut staff or scrap potential plans for a larger
library (since they may be thinking that without needing additional space
for books they won't have a need to expand the library)  Are the 'check
writers' hoping that they'll eliminate 90 percent of the library staff and
use that money to pay for all the electronic goodies?

I think you're doing a good thing, looking for information, real life
experiences, and data to back up what you present to your admins. As for
the prospects of a truly all-digital library today I would say that for the
typical public, school, or academic library, it's not a reality. The only
place I can possibly see this happening is a very specialized corporate
library.  You may want to try to make it very clear to whoever it is
requesting this information from you that everything is NOT available
electronically. Essentially, give them a major reality check.  People who
don't actually work in libraries and have to deal with providing
information have this vague perception (courtesy of media overhype) that
everything in the universe is available online.  You would think that
people would logically realize that this was impossible, but there are many
who have bought into this idea for some reason.

We've been fortunate in that our administration and library director are
very pro-library, in whatever form that takes. There's been no push to go
the 'virtual library' route. Our director is an archivist, so he may have a
different perspective than some library directors. There seems to be an
understanding that the wealth of materials we have sitting on our shelves
cannot be found electronically and probably won't be for decades to come.
I think it's a balancing act, where you embrace electronic resources
without forgetting the importance of print.

You may want to contact someone at the library at Cal State
University-Monterey. Their library was conceived, as I recall, as a
'virtual' or 'electronic' library. I highly doubt that they provide
EVERYTHING online. I think there's someone on the list who has worked at
CSU-Monterey. I can't remember who it is though, but if that person is
listening maybe they can provide some information about the success of that
endeavor.

Sheryl Dwinell * Cataloger/DBM Librarian/Webmaster
Memorial Library * Marquette University
P.O. Box 3141 * Milwaukee, WI 53201-3141
414-288-3406 * dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu