Electronic libraries

John Creech creechj at mumbly.lib.cwu.edu
Fri Oct 24 11:08:57 EDT 1997

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Sue Kamm wrote:

> Try getting in touch with Cal State Monterey.  (I don't have an address
> for them, and I'm at home where I'm severely web-challenged.)  They were
> supposed to be all-electronic.  I seem to recall reading something
> recently about their library, and why the 'virtual' idea didn't really
> work.

Sue and gentle readers,

I likely overreacted yesterday in my defensive rant re: CSUMB.  My
apologies.  They went from planning the whole campus, with just 15 or so
faculty aboad in jan. of 1995, to opening the doors in Aug. of '95. There
are good people there dedicated to a vision of doing things differently in
education.  When the article appeared in Newsweek, the oft-quoted piece
about how the campus would not have a library, the school hadn't even
opened yet, nor had any librarians been hired.  Again, my apologies for
waxing semi-ballistic.  The library faculty at CSUMB can speak well for
themselves. Now I'll shut up and let them do so.

John Creech
Electronic Resources Librarian & Asst. Head of Reference | Central Washington
University Library | 400 E. 8th Ave. | Ellensburg, WA 98926 | 509-963-1081 |
jcreech at mumbly.lib.cwu.edu |
personal mail=jcreech at ellensburg.com
personal pages=larry.ellensburg.com/~jcreech