Locking Down Netscape Navigator

Andrew J. Mutch amutch at tln.lib.mi.us
Fri Nov 14 13:26:13 EST 1997

When Glen Davies first posted to Web4Lib the idea of locking in Netscape
Navigator to specific IP addresses using the Proxy setting within the
browser, there was a question as to whether you could enter an unlimited
number of url's.

Well, I can tell you that in the 16-bit version of Navigator 3.x, you are
limited to the number of url's you can enter.  I haven't counted the exact
number of characters, but I have discovered that 3.x won't "remember"
beyond a certain number of url's.  It will accept you entering them.
However, once you exit and then re-enter Navigator, you will find that it
has "forgotten" the extra url's.  I have added a note to this effect to
the web pages that describe how to lock-in Navigator using Glen's method.

For those using the 16-bit version of 3.x, if you can, upgrade to the 4.x
version, as it does not have this limitation.

For more information, see:

http://northville.lib.mi.us/tech/lockin.htm

Andrew Mutch
Northville District Library