More on Search Engines

Bill Manson MVLC (978) 475-7632 manson at mvlc.lib.ma.us
Wed Nov 12 09:42:04 EST 1997

Metacrawler has a website (Metaspy)
http://search4.metacrawler.com/perl/metaspy?
that is aimed at giving a 'snapshot' of searches on the web.  I
understand that some use this site in teaching/demo situations to give some
idea of the diversity of searches that are actually performed.  I believe
that the snapshot quality is mediated, or at least second hand.  If one
looks at Metaspy off and on over the course of a day (and especially if
one uses the refresh key rather than waiting for the auto refresh to kick
in), a pattern of searches will emerge.  Some unusual searches --
misspellings repeated, etc. -- will occur with a very high frequency.  If
someone searches for "surfing the web anonomously" on a single engine for
12 hours, they may need more help than we can give <g>.  I'm guessing
that a small set of sample searches are captured and then put into a
random looping program.  Those searches appear to stay in Metaspy for
about one day and are then replaced.  Does it really make a difference?
Perhaps not, but it's interesting to know in any case.

* Bill Manson                           * "Technology is    *
* Executive Director                    *  impossible to    *
* Merrimack Valley Library Consortium   *  predict, but     *
* Andover, MA 01810                     *  stupidity is a   *
* Phone:(978) 475-7632                  *  known constant." *
* Fax: (978) 475-8158                   *                   *
* Email: manson at mvlc.lib.ma.us          *  -- Scott Adams   *