Electronic Journals

Donald G Richardson drichard at WPI.EDU
Wed Nov 12 15:16:54 EST 1997

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Marty Tanner Hughes wrote:

> While we catalog our electronic journals, we don't have a web-based
> online catalog (yet), so we're looking for a way to get users to the
> resources from our web site.

Marty:

We have started adding links to electronic journals from our web-based
online catalog (an Endeavor Voyager system at http://library.wpi.edu/).
If you do a keyword search in the catalog for the phrase "online version,"
I think that you'll come up with all of the e-journals we've linked from
the catalog so far, along with some other non-journal links. Our goal is
to have everything listed in the catalog eventually.

In the meantime, we also maintain an Electronic Journals area and provide
a link to it from the library home page.  We have over 300 titles
linked there by subject category and by title.  There are links to large
collections such as IDEAL and Project Muse, and we have added links to
individual titles within those collections to increase the visibility of
the IDEAL and PM titles within our overall e-journals collection.

> In addition to subscriptions, we also want to point our users toward
> "free" resources on the Web. Do we mix these in with our "on-campus
> only" subscriptions?

We've mixed the free resources with the paid ones.  An access note
accompanies those titles that are restricted to our domain.

> ... What sort of workflow do you use in subscribing to electronic
> resources and making them accessible?

We created some guidelines for adding e-journals to the collection.
This includes monitoring the NewJour list and identifying e-journals to
which we can link for free by virtue of having a print subscription. The
library's web coordinator created a submittal that makes it easy to add
titles to the e-journals pages.  The Serials Cataloger adds the links to
e-journals in the library catalog.

If you have any questions about what we've done, please let me know.

                   Don Richardson ** drichard at wpi.edu
              Reference/Systems Librarian ** Gordon Library
                 WPI (Worcester Polytechnic Institute)
              100 Institute Road ** Worcester, MA 01609-2280
                Voice (508) 831-5410 ** Fax (508) 831-5829