Cornell Webmaster Liability Workshop

wake at wln.com wake at wln.com
Thu Mar 20 12:53:48 EST 1997

     This looks interesting. Thought the web4lib folks might want to see
     this announcement. Please don't contact me regarding this - I'm simply
     forwarding it from another list - contact info shown below.

----- cut here -----
CORNELL UNIVERSITY
WEBMASTER LIABILITY WORKSHOP
April 18, 1997
Atlanta, Georgia

An Invitation
To Webmasters, Web-Content Developers, Public Relations Professionals,
In-House Counsel, Security Officers, and Risk Managers

At a time when targeted communications are taking on increasing
importance, the Internet and the World-Wide Web are immensely powerful
tools for marketing, operations, customer service, and public
information.  As we rely on the Web to share information with
individuals both inside and outside our organizations, we also take on
a new spectrum of risks and liabilities.

To avoid unlawful practices as well as to protect one's own
Website from exposure, Web managers must be aware of the laws
protecting consumers, employees, and the intellectual property of
others.  Such legal concerns were primarily the responsibility of
lawyers, advertising agencies, and publishing houses.  Today Webmasters,
Web-content developers, and public relations professionals must work
closely with in-house legal counsel, security officers, and risk
managers to develop and effectively implement Web security policies.

Cornell University's WEBMASTER LIABILITY WORKSHOP is an intensive
one-day program that will identify the most effective procedures for
ensuring the legal and ethical use of the World-Wide Web for a variety
of business functions.  The program will also pinpoint the best
practices for handling complaints, investigating incidents, and working
with law enforcement agents in the event your Website becomes the
center of a legal controversy.

The program presenters have extensive experience designing and
operating computer-based information systems.  They will address the
legal, technical, and policy issues stemming from both intentional and
inadvertent misuse of the Web.  They will present a number of defensive
strategies and contingency plans that Webmasters can and should adopt
to protect themselves and their organizations from the threat of
liability.  And, taking stock of the emerging and often confusing
regulatory environment governing electronic communications, they will
consider likely legal developments and point out those that will most
significantly impact the way we operate our Websites.

PLEASE JOIN US for a program that will be a valuable assessment of risk
management in the Information Age.

PROGRAM SESSIONS:

Legal Concepts and Key Legislation: What Webmasters Should Know
        o Copyright
        o Misrepresentation and false advertising
        o Defamation and harassment
        o Public information and privacy
        o Pornography, obscenity, and indecency

Avoiding Liability: What Webmasters Should Do
        o Why traditional computer security isn't enough
        o The pros and cons of various computer-use policies
        o Operating procedures that reduce risk
        o The promises and pitfalls of system monitoring
        o Common mistakes and how to avoid them

When Precautions Fail: The Steps Webmasters Should Take
        o Your rights and responsibilities
        o Gathering evidence without compromising prosecution
        o Taking pre-emptive action
        o Working cooperatively with law enforcement

PROGRAM PRESENTERS

Marjorie W. Hodges, J.D.
Policy Advisor, Office of Information Technologies, Cornell University

Director of Cornell's Computer Policy and Law program and a national
authority in the field of computer policy and law, Marjorie Hodges has
handled a wide variety of computer-abuse cases.  Ms. Hodges is a
frequent speaker on the ethical and legal use of computers and
networks, presenting recently at the Stetson Law and Higher Education
conference, the CAUSE and EDUCOM annual conferences, and the Vermont
Law and Higher Education conference.

Steven L. Worona
Assistant to the Vice President for Information Technologies, Cornell
University

Steven Worona has worked in the field of computer-mediated information
storage and delivery for over twenty-five years.  Mr. Worona is the
creator of Cornell's CUinfo, the first campus-wide information system.
He was also a principal developer of the PL/C compiler at Cornell, and
of the XCELL+ factory simulation system marketed commercially by
Express Software Products, Inc.  Mr. Worona serves on a wide variety of
technical committees and task forces in the academic computing field
and has spoken and consulted internationally on current applications
and future trends in computer-based communication.

PROGRAM FEE:
$475, which includes course materials and continental breakfast.
Enrollment is limited; early registration is encouraged.

FOR INFORMATION:
Webmaster Liability Workshop
E-mail: sp at sce.cornell.edu
Phone: (607) 255-7259
Fax: (607) 255-9697
B20 Day Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-2801
http://www.sce.cornell.edu/exec/WLW.html