"60 Minutes" and Web Site Evaluations -Reply

Dan Lester DLESTER at bsu.idbsu.edu
Mon Mar 3 17:31:13 EST 1997

>>> Linda Absher <absher at lclark.edu> 03/03/97 02:44pm

Okay--I'll be the first one to bring this up:  did anyone watch
the "60  Minutes" report on the difficulty in determining the
authority/authenticity of info presented via the web?  I know tv
ratings  thrive by presenting a subject as if it were The Next
Big Catastrophe,  but I was taken aback by its ominous,
cataclysmic tone, and its attempts  to suggest that children
may be yet again at risk when using the web.
Yes, but that is why it didn't bother me.  They're doing their
job of "investigative reporting" and we're doing ours.  They
don't bother me, I don't bother them.  Works for me.  I guess
it is the old and cynical showing thru.  I've just seen so many
of these things that I know they don't mean much so don't
get all excited.  Not saying that such shows may not do
some good, but that the successes are like those of batters
in baseball.  Batting .300 is pretty good these days, and I'm
not sure those shows are even making .300.  Once again, we
have to sort the wheat from the chaff, as with any other info
provided.

=======================
And not even a faint mention of the ability of libarians to
evaluate  information available on the web....
Personally, I'd rather NOT promote this angle of our
profession.  I believe in providing the info and letting the
USER make the decision.  I have enough problems with the
patrons who "want info to prove that abortion is sinful and evil
and nasty and ....." and biting my tongue a lot.  (I'm
personally opposed to it, but also of not forcing my beliefs on
anyone else)

I'd MUCH rather that we presented ourselves as TEACHERS
of USERS on how to evaluate info themselves, rather than
spoon feeding them nothing but the great books, as was
done at various times in the past.

dan

Dan Lester, Network Information Coordinator
Boise State University Library, Boise, Idaho, 83725 USA
voice: 208-385-1235   fax:  208-385-1394
dlester at bsu.idbsu.edu     OR    alileste at idbsu.idbsu.edu
Cyclops' Internet Toolbox:    http://cyclops.idbsu.edu
"How can one fool make another wise?"   Kansas, 1979.