Consciousness of disinformation

Sheryl Dwinell dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu
Thu Jun 26 16:22:39 EDT 1997

When we teach classes about using the Internet, we always stress critical
thinking and evaluative skills.  We also make a point of saying that every
bit of information in the universe is not available on the Web [although
watching students do research I'm not sure this concept has sunk in] and
that there are many resources that only exist in print or on full-text
CD-ROMs within the library.  We point out the difference between the online
resources we pay for (full-text journals, for example) and information made
available for free. Trying to make the point that it is an expensive
proposition to put full-text resources on the Web, hence, you aren't going
to find a Web version of every work you'd find in a library.  In a
traditional BI class, it's standard procedure to discuss where sources of
information come from and how to use your judgement to determine their
authoritativeness. All we've done is extended this philosophy into the
realm of Net resources.  We also provide some tips on our web site on
evaluating Net resources.  It's pretty much an extension of the advice we
give for print sources.

Sheryl Dwinell
Cataloger/Database Management Librarian
Memorial Library * Marquette University
P.O. Box 3141 * Milwaukee, WI 53201-3141
414-288-3542 * dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu